Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Fast Food Nation

Wow...Have I been a slacker or what!!!! I haven't had much to post here and when I finally read an interesting book I never got around to posting about it so here it finally is.
I read this for book club a few months ago and it was really interesting. I thought it was just going to be about fast food, but it is really about how fast food has changed the American way of life. The issues covered in this book ranged from advertising in public schools to the meat packing industry to violence in the work place. All of this stemming from our addiction to fast food. Thank goodness I don't eat fast food very often (usually just on road trips or when stuck in the airport) because this book left me never wanting a Big Mac again!! It really opened my eyes to how it effects so many lives in a really negative way.
I am glad I read this book because it has me fired up to be more involved in my dear friend Heather's Local Eating challenge. Last year was hard because I was a bit preoccupied with being pregnant, but this year I am ready!!! I am the healthiest, fittest and lowest weight I have been in years and that is a big motivator to make sure I am only putting healthy stuff in this body!!! NO fast food for me!!

2 comments:

Meg said...

I've been wanting to read this book for a while now but haven't yet. I'm afraid I'll become even more obsessed over the type of food I eat.

Sara K. said...

I can admit that I have not read it for the same reasons that Meg stated. Also, I am slightly addicted to McDonald's fries!