Friday, December 4, 2009

Finally

I have wanted to try out this pattern for years and have never gotten around to it until now. Part of the problem is that I was never sure what size of bulb to buy because the pattern calls for a 2 5/8 inch bulb, but none of them are labeled at the store. So I started the pattern and then figured I would just "try it on" at the store to find the right bulb. I finally ended up at Michael's and found some bulbs that had measurements on them and to my surprise my attempt at this pattern was way to big for a 2 5/8 inch bulb. I guess I should have checked my gauge! This was my first attempt at crocheting with such a fine thread and small hook and my work was just to loose, but luckily I did find some bigger bulbs that my pattern fit on.

I was hoping for a nice colored bulb, but these clear glass ones were all I could find in the right size. I added the bow to give the ornament a little color. My goal now is to make a few more and hopefully I can get my crocheting tight enough to put the pattern on the correct size bulb, but all in all I was pretty happy with how the final product came out.

This one is going to one of the mom's in my Richmond Mommies group. We are having a mom's night out and an ornament exchange. I hope the new owner loves this ornament as much as I do.


7 comments:

Angie said...

My Grandmother made those when she was alive. She also made angels that she would stiffen with glue and water. They are my most treasured ornaments. I got her patterns when she passed but have not attempted them yet. I learned how to crochet with that size thread and small hook. It looks great. It makes me want to try some.

lifeatthewhitehouse said...

Great job, Jen!!

heather jane said...

She will, Jen!! It's really pretty.

I hope you're enjoying all the merriment as much as I am this year. I'm trying to slow way down and just enjoy the year with my kids. It's been good so far.

Sara K. said...

Oh Jen, I love these!!!! They are so beautiful. I like it with the clear bulb. So lovely!

Holli said...

Gorgeous work, Jen! What a nice ornament -- heirloom quality for sure!

Have fun at Mom's Night Out :)

Meg said...

That is so pretty! I so love a lovely handmade Christmas decoration!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.