Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Raspberry Lemonade Sweater

I know, strange name, but I was drinking raspberry lemonade as I was working on this sweater and they were the exact same color!!

I made this for a friend of mine who is having a baby girl next week. I found the pattern on ravelry for free, which is always a plus. The only problem is that the pattern is for a sweater, bonnet and booties and was very old fashioned so I did a few changes. It called for fingering weight yarn, but there are not a lot of fun color choices at my LYS so I used a sport DK instead. This did make the sweater much bigger than I had hoped, but as hot as it is here right now there is no need for it to be newborn size. I was hoping for 6-12 months, but considering that I tried it on Diya, who is 22 months old, and it fit makes me think that it will be awhile before the baby gets to wear it.
The body ended up being kind of short so I decided to make it a short sleeved sweater and it can either be a spring/fall sweater or she can wear it in the winter with a long sleeved shirt underneath. I hadn't crocheted anything in awhile so it was nice to have a nice quick project and to refresh my crocheting skills. That is one of the things I like about crochet, it is super fast, plus it is also a easy on the pocket book. All I had to pay for for this sweater was one skein of yarn and a $1.99 crochet hook. I love knitting but as I have stated before in previous posts, getting all the needles for a project can add up fast.

I love this yarn so much that I think I am going to get some more of it to make matching knitted sweaters for Isha and Diya for this winter. I am thinking about knitting them both at the same time so that they are finished at the same time so that the girls can wear them this winter, but that does mean doubling up on the needles.



2 comments:

Sara K. said...

So sweet! I love it!

Meg said...

So cute! I love it! Yes, knitting is not a cheap hobby! I don't even want to think of how much $$$ I have in needles....