Monday, June 9, 2008

The Go Local Challenge

Today I started doing my research for Heather's Go Local challenge. First we went to a little organic grocery store and we didn't find much local stuff, but that is where we got the eggs. Then we went to Carolina Mike's and we got Hanover cucumbers and tomatoes. Hanover tomatoes are so famous that they even have their own festival . There are a few more stores that I am going to try and there are also a couple of different farmer's markets where I am going to try to get local food.

I think that are first local meal is going to be a quiche made with our eggs, which came from Dayton Va and a salad made with my veggies from Hanover, which is just north of us. My first meal won't be 100% local, but it is a good start and I am hoping that as this challenge goes along I will get better at finding local food and there will be more of it out there once the growing season is in full swing. Hopefully tomorrow's post will have a picture of a yummy quiche.

The other part of this challenge for me is getting Jai on board. If you throw to many veggies at him he freaks. That boy loves meat! I will let you know how he feels about eating quiche for dinner!

If you want to get in on the challenge just check out Heather's blog

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Jen!! Way to go hunting...good luck with the quiche. Can't wait to hear how he reacts.

Anonymous said...

p.s. the brown and pink is cute, too.

Sara K. said...

I am super impressed! Its so fun to see the ingredients and then see the amazing meal you made. Big props to you! -S

Meg said...

I need to check out Heather's blog! This does sound like my kind of thing! I do enjoy riding my bike to our local farmers market, but with our cold wet spring, the pickin's are pretty slim which is kind of frustrating! I use Whole Foods to suppliment the rest of the list, but that does add up!