Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Go Local Challenge Week #3

There still isn't a huge variety at our little fruit stand down the road, but I don't feel like driving and wasting gas to go all the way downtown so I made do with what they had. I made my first ever batch of home made spaghetti sauce! I am embarrassed to say that I have always used the jars of sauce because I was to busy working to take the time and make it from scratch. I threw everything in the crock pot yesterday morning and could smell it all day long.

The tomatoes and onions were local, the fresh herbs were not local, nor was the pasta or bread. Of course I had to put meat in the sauce other wise Jai would have been very put out. I am not sure if the meat is local or not. I checked on the Ukrops grocery store web site and it said that the meat is raised on small farms, humanely and all that good stuff, but not exactly where it came form. I even called the store but the guy I talked to wasn't sure where the farms were located. I have a friend who works for Ukrops so I will have to ask him to do some research for me. The zucchini was local and it was really good. I dipped it in egg, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and baked it and it was yummy. Much better than that soggy steamed stuff.

Lately this blog has been heavy on the "other stuff" and light on the books and nonexistent on the yarn. That is about to change. I actually picked up my crochet hook the other day and started to finish Isha's summer dress. I think it is still going to fit her. So stay tuned!

4 comments:

Sara K. said...

WOW!! That looks tasty! I have got to figure out my local meal for this week. I NEED to get to a purveyor of local...farmers market here I come! -S

Meg said...

Looks yummy! Nice work! I can't wait to see the dress you're making for Isha!

Anonymous said...

You totally rock, Jen!! homemade tomato sauce?!! Go, girl, go. And the research for the meat? I'm impressed with your tenacity.

Can't wait to see the yarn happiness.

Holli said...

Wow, Jen! Your pasta sauce *does* look good! Now that you know how good homemade tastes, I bet you'll never go back to the canned stuff :)

Holli