Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Go Local Week 1

Our first meal wasn't 100% local, but we did pretty good. I made cucumber salad with my Hanover cucumber, but added a grocery store red onion for Jai.


Here is our tomato basil quiche that was made with Hanover tomatoes, local eggs and some local milk that I found at the grocery store. I did use an already made crust because I wasn't feeling motivated enough to make my own and grocery store cheese because I haven't found any local cheese yet.

This was the first quiche that I have ever made. I did take some of the advice of the reviewers and I used bread crumbs instead of flour to coat the tomatoes and I also added some Parmesan cheese to the tomatoes. It was really good, but I was hoping for a more eggy quiche. The tomatoes left it a little watery, but the flavor was really good.

I have to admit that tomatoes aren't my favorite veggie. I only started eating them a few years ago so I still have this weird thing with them. My brain still tells me that I don't like them even though they taste good. I guess it is one of those childish phobias I am still working on.

I also made some corn on the cob to go with the quiche. It wasn't local, but I am hoping that soon we will be getting some corn at the fruit stand.

Jai's Reaction

Jai wasn't impressed that there was no meat. I told him that meat was expensive and that he could live with one meal with no meat. Plus we are going to BBQ on Fri, Sat, and Sun so he will be getting plenty of meat this weekend. When I told him to get some cucumbers he said that he already had enough veggies(in a very sarcastic tone), but when he tasted them he took a big helping. I have to say that for as whiny as he is when there is no meat, he was very nice and ate all of his dinner. That is one of the things that I love about Jai, he always supports me in the things that are important to me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Jen, Go!! I'm big time proud of you for making your first quiche and eating tomatoes. You and Hadley need to talk about that. She won't eat them either. Maybe if she knows her phobia might scar her for life she'll change her ways. :)

I'll link your post in this week's entry!!

Way to go Jai!!! Thanks for eating your dinner like a big boy.

Sara K. said...

Looks DE-LISH!!! I am going to have to go partial on my local challenge this week. We got a few things from the CSA, but I am not sure how I can make it into a full dinner! And I love the new background. -S

Meg said...

This looks fabulous! Good for you for doing something like this! I've always thought about it, but I can't give up my diet coke!!!