Friday, August 8, 2008

This Weeks Local Meal

After last weeks local eating blitz I decided to go easy this week. At my last trip to the farmer's market I bought a huge bunch of fresh basil and made pesto with it and it has been in the freezer just waiting to be paired with the right ingredients.

We had whole wheat pasta, with roasted local veggies and it was all tossed with some home made pesto sauce! I even got to use my huge pasta bowl to serve the pasta in.

I don't think I have ever had pasta with pesto sauce before and I am usually not a fan of veggies in my pasta, but I didn't know what else to cook so I was hoping this would taste good. And once again I hit the jackpot. I loved this stuff. I was totally prepared to not like it, but it just tasted too good plus it felt good to be eating something that was so healthy. We did have to make an addition in order to get Jai to eat it. I grilled up a chicken breast and sliced it up so that there would be some meat. I also put a scoop of ricotta cheese on the top and then stirred it into the pasta. It was a little tip I learned on Rachael Ray.

I will definitely be making this again! Yummy!

5 comments:

Sara K. said...

Looks so tasty! I am not a super huge fan of pesto myself. But I made it to freeze as well...once school starts I will be pesto-ing up some pasta myself. :) -S

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! I've been planning to make some more pesto myself. The last round I made went on grilled pizza and it was heavenly.

Holli said...

Isn't pesto wonderful? Joe and I have been living on the stuff all summer long. We put it on everything (almost!). Glad you've discovered it too.

Angie said...

thank you for your thoughts and prayers. i appreciate you telling your group. she will need all of the prayers she can get. we will get through this.

Rebecca said...

yummy dinner. i'm glad my floweres cheered you up. Phil took us and the kids on a sunday drive and showed us some of the beauties of his mail route...i miss idaho too when i am not here!