Thursday, September 11, 2008

Parmesan Meatballs with Pine Nuts

Wow, it has been a long time since I posted anything here. Until recently I haven't read anything inspiring and have been a little slack in the cooking and craft department. Now I finally have something to share.

I am not a big meatball fan, but these sounded good so I decided to give them a try. I also like that the recipe came out of my McCall Idaho cookbook.

1lb. very lean beef
1/2c freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2t dried crushed basil
1/2t dried oregano
1t salt
1/4c pine nuts
1/2c dry plain bread crumbs
1/2c finely chopped onion
1/4t allspice
1/2t black pepper
1/2c milk
1 egg lightly beaten
1/4c chopped parsley

Combine ingredients and form 1-1/2 inch wide balls. Roll lightly in flour

Combine 3T olive oil and 1T of butter in a skillet. When butter foams, start adding meatballs, browning on all sides. Drain on paper towel and then place meatballs in a casserole dish.
Add 1c beef bouillon and 1/2c dry red wine to skillet, stirring until well combined. Add sauce to meatballs and bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes add 1/2 lb. sliced sauteed mushrooms. When done remove meatballs and slightly thicken sauce with cornstarch. Serve over Tagliatelle pasta.

Here are what I changed and what I would do next time.
I didn't use the allspice because I don't have any and they tasted fine. I used egg noodles instead of pasta. Next time I would saute the onions and use more dilute beef bouillon or low sodium beef broth because it was a little salty for me.

I should have taken a picture and I definitely wish I had "smellware" to share the wonderful aroma of this meal.

1 comments:

Sara K. said...

Sounds tasty! Nice cookin, lady! And you will notice fewer cooking posts on our blog...its easy to fall of the fabulous cooking wagon. Though I did recently make some pretty yummy chicken gumbo, which will be coming to our blog very soon! Hope you are well. Thinking of you today! -S