Sunday, September 21, 2008

Blisters For Barack

Today I volunteered with the Virginia Democratic Party for Barack Obama and Mark Warner. I went door to door (hence the name for this post) asking people how they thought they were going to vote in the upcoming election. The democratic party is going to get a hold of all the people who said there were likely to vote for democrats and make sure they actually come out to vote!
Before heading out our governor, Tim Kaine, spoke to us about how Virginia is a very competitive state for this election and how important it is for us to get out and get all the democrats to vote. He said that if Barack Obama wins Virgina then he will win the White House!
I know that not all of you may not have the same political views as I do, but really this post is more about getting involved in your government than trying to sway any of you to become a democrat. But...I do want to share something with you about my political views. Up until this years primary elections I have always called myself a republican and always voted republican, but this year something was different. I really think that it is because of Isha. Now that I am a mom I look at the world very differently. I would never have thought that I would become a Democrat, but every day I realize a new and different way that having a child has changed my life!
I wish I was a better writer because I have all of this stuff in my head, but I never seem to be able to get it out and onto the computer screen. I should take a writing class, maybe that would help. One of these days, but until then thanks for reading this and remember to get out there and vote!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm completely shocked to hear that you will be voting democrat this year. I've never really talked with you about politics because I didn't want that issue to divide us...but now we can discuss politics!!

Good for you, pounding the pavement. I'm really proud for you to be able to feel powerful. I just feel like I have wasted vote here in ID.

Go, Jen!!

Holli said...

Jen:

What an inspiring post. I'm a complete political junkie and this year is causing me particular pains, as my vote, my issues, and my agenda went to Hillary. I'm sickened by the state of our country and understand the long term implications of another election "gone bad"...so will vote for my party and hope for the best. Good for you, for getting out there and making an impact in your community! And HOORAY for another new Democrat joining us all!

xoxo,
Holli

Sara K. said...

I love it!!! Great work! Way to be an activist (in the nicest sense of the word!).

Sorry I haven't called back. School has been murder. 2 nights this week until 9. Trying to get out from it...I want to meet up while you are here...FOR SURE!!! I promise to call ASAP!! -S