Thursday, July 3, 2008

Go Local Challenge Week #4

I tried to find some local meat for this weeks meal, but unfortunately it just didn't happen this week. Sara sent me a link to a store that carries local meet, but when I went there they said that there have been problems getting the distributors to send them anything. They did have a few whole chickens, but I wasn't up for spending $12. I do know that I am going to have to fork out some dough for the meat and after Jai's reaction to this weeks meal I will probably be doing it next week! This week we had local peppers stuffed with not so local brown rice (this is what freaked Jai out), quinoa and cheddar cheese. The corn, beans and cucumbers were all local and the sauce on top of the peppers was my left over spaghetti sauce from last week. I really enjoyed this meal and Isha chowed down on the corn and stuffed peppers!

I got a hold of my friend that works for Ukrops and he said that their meat comes from many different states, but that some of it is actually local. So I guess there is the potential that the meat in the spaghetti sauce was local! Finding local meat has been the biggest challenge. The demand is so high for it that it either flies of the shelf or stores can't even get it in. There is a farmers market on Tuesdays called The Byrd House Market were local vendors bring meat and there is also a farm in the neighboring county that is open to the public on Saturdays so we may head out there to get some local meat! A trip to the farm sound like fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corn already? Yum!!

Those peppers look divine! Poor Jai. He just doesn't know good food when he sees it.

Good luck with the meat search. Our quandary is cheese. I can't find anything for less than 9.00 a pound and I will not pay that much for cheese. At least not on a regular basis. And we be cheese eatin' people.

(e-mail me this link and I'll stick it all nice and tidy into my nice and tidy spreadsheet.)

Sara K. said...

Looks very tasty! I love how colorful the plate is!!! Sorry about the meat...I was so excited and HOPEful! Don't show Jai our meatloaf from tonight! -S

Unknown said...

Jen, I hope you and your friends will come to the Byrd House Market this Tuesday. We have two vendors CCL Farm and Faith Farm who sell local, anti-biotic free meat including beef, chicken, pork, and sausage. Sometimes they even have exotic things like Ostrich. They also carry farm fresh eggs which are to die for and butter and goat cheese. The market is open 3:30 to 7 pm and is located at Linden St and Idlewood Ave behind the William Byrd Community House at 224 Cherry street in Oregon Hill. We look forward to seeing you! Laura Morand Bailey, Byrd House Market Manager.

Meg said...

Your dinner looks lovely! I'm glad to hear Isha is liking all the yummy local veggies! Jai, well, good luck with him! And good luck with your meat quest!

Holli said...

Jen:

Way to go on this dinner. I echo Heather, Meg and Sara -- good luck with Jai -- one meatless meal won't hurt him :)

And how cool that Laura from Byrd House Market left a comment on your post. Local, antibiotic free meat, eggs and and goat cheese: all local -- and NICE too!

Have fun!