Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Idaho

People are always asking me questions about Idaho. The most common question I get is: What do you miss about Idaho? Well here it is:

A beautiful sunset in Roseberry Idaho.


Payette Lake in McCall Idaho

I really miss the beauty of Idaho. People are always cracking jokes about the potatoes and how backwards they think Idaho is, but the funny thing is that most of those people have never even been here. They have no idea of how beautiful it is here. I also miss the people of Idaho. We went to the music festival in Roseberry and it was fun just to relax and listen to the music. It was also fun to sit back and look at all the people. I can't exactly put my finger on what exactly makes Idahoans look different, but part off it is the laid back attitude. I also noticed that once you head north of Boise, most men don't shave. Gillette must not make any money here.
The old general store in Roseberry Idaho.

It was great to be able to go back home for a visit. When I first moved away from Idaho I felt so free and independent. I loved exploring my new surroundings and feeling proud of myself for being brave enough to move away. But now I feel myself being homesick more often. I'm sure that part of it is Isha, but I also think that as the newness of Virginia wears of I miss Idaho more and more. I feel guilty that I took so much for granted when I lived in Idaho. Virginia is beautiful and I really do love it here, but it will never be a replacement for Idaho. There is something about the place you grow up. It becomes a part of who you are.

You know you are in Idaho when you get out of your car and step into a cow pie. I like to call this an Idaho welcome mat! Ha Ha.
It was great to see some wildlife while I was at home, like this deer that ran through the cottage neighborhood in McCall.
My grandmother came to visit and we were able to get a picture of all four generations together. I have a 4 generations picture with my Great Grandmother and I want Isha to have one so that someday she can look at it and see all of us together.
It breaks my heart sometimes that Isha won't grow up an Idahoan, but at least I get to bring her home and take her to the places that I grew up and that are important to me. She will probably always be a Virginian at heart, but that is okay because she will have her own special memories just like I do.
The one thing I miss most about Idaho is my family. Sometimes I feel like I have cheated Isha out of a lot by living so far away from home, but then I remember that if it wasn't for meeting Jai and moving to Virginia, I wouldn't even have Isha. So I just do the best I can. Isha may not grow up in Idaho, but at least she will have lots of good memories of time spent there.


2 comments:

Meg said...

Jen, I loved this post! It made me misty and I read it at work! People ask me all about Idaho too and I always tell them about the beautiful mountains and how I miss them too! But I do love that we're on our own new adventures and that you're starting this with Isha! Of course, she will have to learn to love the Idaho mountains like we do!
I miss you!
Hugs,
Meg

Sara K. said...

You are so right! Now I am jonesing for home. Good thing I will be in Idaho in a little over a week. Such beauty and the beauty of family! Can't wait. Thanks for the BEAUTIFUL post! -S