Saturday, February 9, 2008

Not Just For Dog Lovers

I just finished this book and it was a really interesting book. Not only was it a great story about this dog and his owner, but it also had a lot of history and research about the domestication and behavior of wolves and dogs. The other aspect of this book that I enjoyed was reading about the life that Ted Kerasote lives. He is an avid outdoorsmans that has spent his life biking, hiking and skiing in the northwest and around the world. He also keeps his own garden, hunts for his own meat, and lives with no TV. Reading all of his stories really made me homesick for Idaho.

I do have to admit that this book has left me conflicted about some parts of my own life. First, is my relationship with my own dog, Stitch. He used to be my life and I used to turn my nose up at people that said my feelings would change once I had kids. I hate to admit it, but they were right. This makes me feel so guilty. I don't have the time or patience that I used to have for Stitch and it really breaks my heart, because at 11 years old he deserves better. I feel like I should love him more. This has been so hard for me that I even cried last time I took him to the vet's office because I don't feel like a very good dog mom anymore.

Secondly, I wish I had spent more time enjoying the amazing state that I grew up in. I should have done more hiking and camping and spent more time snowboarding. Deep down inside of me I feel like there is a granola in hiding, but in all reality I am kind of a city girl and I need to accept that (the granola must be the one that has me recycling like crazy, using cloth diapers, and breastfeeding). It is hard to come to terms with things like this in our lives, that is, accepting who we are. While Ted Kerasote's life is very inspiring, the chances that I will move to the middle of nowhere and live off the land are very slim and you know what, that is okay! He has inspired me enough to at least get out of the house on the weekends and enjoy some fresh air. Who knows, maybe we will even go on a family camping trip this summer. That ought to be fun with an 18 month old!

I will tell you thought that this book is very sad. Any time you read about a dog you know how the story is going to end. So grab a box of tissues!

I really enjoy reading non-fiction books. Not only do I enjoy reading, but it is great to learn something while you are doing it! So if you can handle a few tears you should definitly read this book.

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

Sounds like a great book. I hardly ever read non-fiction (Patty reads a lot). You should join Goodreads.com (Megs and I are both in it), you can rate books, keep track of the books you read or have read, share your likes with others. Do check it out.

On a side note, last time I saw Stitch, he was the happy furry friend that I always remembered him to be. His tail told the tale. He is one happy dog! Try not to berate yourself. -S

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.