Sunday, February 3, 2008

Old Projects

All of the creating on Heather's blog has me inspired to start creating some fun stuff of my own. I was all gung-ho to start some new projects and then I saw all the unfinished projects I have sitting around the house so I figured I better finish some before I start any new ones.
I love to crochet baby blankets, but now that I have Isha I don't have the time to do it and all my friends are having babies so fast I can't keep up. So I found this cute pattern where you just crochet the edge around a piece of fleece. While it is faster than crocheting a whole blanket it is still time consuming. Most of the work is spacing and poking 350 plus holes in the fleece. The other thing that makes these hard to do is that the yarn is rather small (fingering weight), but the finished project is worth the work.
I started this one about 6 months ago for Isha and the pattern I chose for the edging was miserable to do. The picot stitch was almost impossible with the tiny yarn so I pulled it out and started a new pattern. While this design wasn't as pretty it was much more realistic.

After the blanket I started to make this adorable little purse that I have tried to make before, but couldn't figure out the pattern. I feel like my crocheting skills have imporved so I thought I would try it again. Well the status on the purse is: after four attempts and a call to my grandmother the purse is still a big ball of purple yarn. My grandmother is coming to visit in March so I think I am going to try it agian while she is here to help me. In the mean time I definitely have enough to keep me busy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll vouch for the finished project. I love Amelia's edged fleece blanket. It's so soft and wonderful and it was the perfect size for swaddling her when she was really tiny.

Have fun and keep showing pictures!

(I noticed Jenny Harris on your links. I love, love, love her stuff!! and Hadley loves her virtual dress up dolls so much. Even I use them for inspiration for kids patterns.)

Sara K. said...

FAB!! The blankie is so cute. I really appreciate your disciplined manner in completing old projects before starting new ones (I am sure that was hard!). Well done!!! H has really inspired me, too. I think I am going to try to find a cheaper used sewing machine and after my life returns to a normal pace (ha ha) try my hand at some apron making. Those aprons are sew cute (hee hee). S